Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Playing Truant From School

It's strange that even though I left school [cough, cough] years ago, I still get that feeling of guilt when I escape the office. This morning, my boss asked me to deliver an important document to his home that couldn't wait for a messenger service. So off I went, happy to escape not just my desk (that has no view or even a window) but the smog of downtown Los Angeles. 

My boss lives in the beautiful foothills of La Canada Flintridge where the mountains are stunning and the air is clear. It reminded me a little of parts of England (except for the mountains). I felt inexplicably free and for all of an hour, had to fight the urge to keep on driving to Santa Barbara. 

I wondered at what point in my life my day job transitioned into feeling like school -- without the long holidays. It's been a pet peeve of mine ever since I moved to the USA that their work ethics are practically feudal. But for now, I'm grateful to have a job (where else would I get ideas for my characters!) plus I have a terrific boss who encourages my writing. 
Okay - must get some work done now ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment