Friday, December 10, 2010

Good Old Mercury Retrograde!

I don't usually pay attention to astrology anymore (I used to be obsessed with it in my misspent youth) except for one thing. Mercury Retrograde. 

This morning I set off for the post office to buy stamps for the gazillions of holiday cards I love sending to friends and family scattered around the globe. After standing in line (queueing) for half an hour I arrive at the bullet-proof window only to find that they had run out of 98 cent stamps—in fact, they only had First Class stamps. The next indication I received about good old Mercury turning was a one hour phone conversation to my favorite customer service hub. Yes, you've guessed. Mumbai. The five different customer service agents I spoke to were all very pleasant as I explained that I needed to alert the bank that  my husband and I were traveling internationally and needed to use our cards. After jumping through hoops and reciting the alphabet backwards along with other security questions, I was told the "system was down" and could I call again later? Since then, I've had a slew of dropped phone calls, my computer freezing and just that general feeling of wading through treacle. 

However, just knowing Mercury is up to his tricks gives me patience. 

Here is what Astrology.com had to say about the planet. Mercury retrograde "gives rise to personal misunderstandings; flawed, disrupted or delayed communications, negotiations and trade; glitches and breakdowns with phones, computers, cars, buses and trains. Ho hum! And we're told Mercury doesn't straighten itself out until December 30!! Arrrgh. Not great for traveling. 

But - forewarned is forearmed, as the saying goes. In fact, having only recently written all about the importance of learning to go with the flow, it looks like I'm about to be tested.  

No comments:

Post a Comment